Broccoli and cake might not be two words you would immediately combine, but we promise you this loaf will be a showstopper for your holiday table! Sweet pecans and apple cider poached pears. Delicious enough to be served as a dessert, healthy enough to be served as a snack, for hungry kiddos and munching Santas.
- 1 pouch Cerebelly Broccoli Pear
- 2 cups apple cider
- 1 cup water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 6 cloves
- 3 small hard Bosc pears, peeled, stem on
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- ½ tsp ground cloves
- 6 tbsp butter
- ¾ cup light brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- ¼ cup reserved poaching liquid from
- ⅓ cup pecans, chopped
- In a small saucepan mix apple cider, water and spices. Bring to a boil.
- Place the whole, peeled pears into the boiling mixture, lower the heat and let simmer for 30 minutes. Turn off the heat but let the pears stay in the liquid until ready to use.
- Meanwhile, Heat the oven to 350 degrees and line a loaf pan.
- Stir together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and ground spices. Set aside
- In a stand mixer or with electric hand mixer cream together butter and sugar until light and airy. Then add the eggs one at a time. Mixing well between each one.
- Add Broccoli Pear Pouch and pear poaching liquid. Mix well
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and fold until just combined
- Pour 1-2 inches of batter into the loaf pan then fish pears out of apple cider and place them into the pan stem up and make sure they stand upright by pressing them down into the batter. Divide remaining batter evenly around the pears. Sprinkle pecans on top and press gently into the batter to make a crust.
- Bake for 10 minutes then gently pull the stems of pears to ensure they stay upright. Bake for an additional 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
The cake will rise so to avoid any drippings (that will burn in the oven) make sure you do not overcrowd the loaf pan with batter, if you have big pears the whole amount might not fit. Discard any remains.
Serve the remaining spiced hot apple cider to your kiddos!